Choosing the right hair color is a personal decision that involves a variety of factors. Many different hair color options are available, ranging from natural shades to bold, trendy hues.
However, choosing the right hair color can significantly impact one’s overall appearance and self-confidence. The right hair color can enhance one’s natural features, complement skin tone, and convey personal style. On the other hand, a poorly chosen hair color can clash with one’s skin tone and washout features, leading to an unflattering look that lowers self-confidence.
In addition, your hair color also needs maintenance, so choosing a manageable shade that can fit into one’s lifestyle is essential. Choosing the right hair color is crucial to achieving the desired look and feeling confident and comfortable in one’s appearance.
Here are some of the significant factors that you need to consider when choosing the right hair color:
- Skin tone
- Eye color
- Natural hair color
- Personal style
- Maintenance level
- Desired look
Why is Skin Tone Important When Choosing the Right Hair Color?
Your skin tone plays a significant role in determining which hair color complements and enhance’s your appearance. Generally, there are four skin undertones, and they are the following:
- Warm – colors such as golden blond, caramel, and copper red suit it best.
- Cool – ash blond, platinum blond, and cool browns
- Neutral – warm and cool blondes, browns, and black.
- Olive – golden blond, light auburn, and chestnut brown.
It’s essential to consider your skin tone when choosing a hair color, as certain shades can clash and wash out the complexion, while others can complement and enhance your natural beauty. You must consult a professional colorist or study as one to learn more about the best hair color recommendations suitable for your skin.
How Does Eye Color Affect Your Hair Color Choice?
One’s eye color can significantly determine which hair color will complement and enhance your appearance. Particular hair colors can make your eye color pop, while others can detract from its beauty.
Eye colors can be classified into several categories, such as the following: brown, blue, green, hazel, and gray. To determine your eye color, observe the dominant color and see if there are any flecks or shades in the iris.
Here’s a helpful guide to determining the best hair color for your eye color:
- Brown eyes: warm browns, coppers, and rich auburn. For cooler hair colors, individuals with brown eyes can have ash blond and platinum.
- Green eyes: best paired with warm hair colors such as golden blond, honey blond, and light auburn. For cooler hair colors, ash blond can make the eyes pop.
- Blue eyes: cool hair colors such as platinum blond, ash brown, and silver; For warm hair colors, golden blond can wash out the coolness of blue eyes.
- Hazel eyes: those with hazel eyes can benefit from hair colors that match the flecks within the iris, such as golden blond, light auburn, and copper.
- Gray eyes: Individuals with gray eyes look best with cool hair colors such as platinum blond, ash brown, and silver. Warm hair colors can detract from the coolness of gray eyes.
What Makes Your Natural Hair Color Affect Your Choice of Hair Color?
Your natural hair color can affect your choice of hair color because it can determine the level of maintenance required to achieve and maintain that desired shade. For example, if someone has naturally dark hair, it may take more time and bleach to achieve a lighter hair color and maintain it. In contrast with someone with naturally lighter hair, getting a darker hair color may be easier without damaging one’s hair.
Another factor determining your hair color choice is your natural hair color’s undertones. Certain hair colors can complement and enhance natural undertones, whereas others may clash. It’s always important to consider these factors when choosing a hair color to ensure that your desired shade will complement your natural hair. If you want to master being a professional colorist or stylist, you can join a hair school class to learn more about hair color.
How Does Your Desired Look Affect Your Choice of Hair Color
One’s desired look can affect their choice of hair color. A person’s desired look can influence their hair color’s shade, tone, and intensity. For someone who wants a subtle change, for example, they may choose a hair color close to their natural shade and may even consider adding subtle highlights or lowlights. On the other hand, someone who wants a dramatic change may choose a hair color different from their natural shades, such as a bright red or platinum blonde.
It all depends on the person and their preferences when choosing the type of hair color they want. If they’re going to do it correctly, they can always ask a professional colorist or study in a hair school to learn more about how they can improve their look.
What Should You Do Before Coloring Your Hair?
Before coloring your hair, one must always consider critical factors that may cause short-lived or long-term side effects to your hair and skin. These factors may include the following:
- Allergies: Do a patch test to check for any potential allergies to the hair dye.
- Hair damage: Coloring one’s hair can cause damage if not done correctly. Always choose a hair dye formulated to suit your hair type and follow each instruction religiously.
- Chemical exposure: Hair dyes may contain chemicals that can be harmful if not handled properly. It is always essential to wear gloves when applying hair dye to keep it from getting in your eyes, mouth, or nose.
- Pregnancy: Some hair dyes are not safe for pregnant women. Always consult with your doctor before coloring your hair.
- Previous hair treatments: If you’ve recently had a hair treatment, like a perm or a relaxer, you must wait until your treatment has finally relaxed before you think about coloring it. Always ask your hair colorist about the required number of weeks or months before you can color your hair.
- Research or study in a hair school: If every salon within your location will require you to pay a consultation fee for asking about all things hair, you can always enroll in a hair school to learn more about the dos and don’ts in hair coloring.
In conclusion, choosing the right hair color is a vital decision that can significantly impact your overall appearance. Factors like skin tone, eye color, natural hair color, desired look, and personal style should always be considered when choosing the right hair color. You should also note safety considerations such as performing a patch test and seeking a professional to ensure a safe and successful hair coloring experience.
But if you’re interested in learning more about hair coloring and other hair styling techniques, enroll in a hair school that can provide you with the knowledge and skills you will need to succeed in the hair styling industry. Whether you need to start a career as a hairstylist or want to learn more about hair care for personal use, enrolling in a hair school can provide you with the proper education and training to achieve your goals. So why should you wait? Start your journey towards becoming a hair styling expert today by enrolling in a hair school!